This workshop is designed to cover all the questions you have about prior learning assessment but were afraid to ask! Designed as an introduction to prior learning assessment, the workshop will begin by laying a foundation by exploring the different opportunities students have to demonstrate their knowledge and learning, and the impact PLA has on organizational practices and student success. This will be followed with an interactive discussion about best practices in implementing an effective PLA program within your institution. Participants will engage in case studies that examine principles of organizational change and how a PLA program becomes integral to student learning and success. Using sample documents, scenarios, and institutional examples, participants will work collaboratively to create an action plan and design processes for introducing or expanding PLA options to gain support from key campus constituencies. As a result, participants will be able to build an action plan for executing a prior learning assessment program on their own campuses. Learning Outcomes:
- Describe the various forms of PLA and utilize the steps, tools and procedures in the PLA process;
- Illustrate and apply the CAEL principles of best practice in PLA;
- Articulate the roles and responsibilities of those involved in the PLA process;
- Determine decision points for effective PLA implementation;
- Identify strategies for gaining buy-in from faculty, administrators, & students;
- and Distinguish options for PLA-related organizational structures and action plans.
- PLA owners (Coordinators/Administrators/degree planners),
- University Administration,
- Faculty Members who advise course scheduling/degree plans.
All Day (Monday)
Council for Adult and Experiential Learning